Saturday, July 26, 2014

The animals of Boots n' Roots Farm

Alright, here's a quick introduction to the animals of Boots n' Roots farm. You'll be seeing a lot of these guys in the future posts. This is what we had the beginning of spring 2014.


This is Egon my Easter Egger /Americana Rooster. I don't know if he qualifies as a true Americana so I just call him an Easter Egger. He's just a year old now and loves his ladies. I'm planning on incubating some of his offspring next year and can't wait to see what he produces.


Egon's in the back, watching over the photo shoot of some of his ladies. These girls are all a year old. I have Easter Eggers, Black Australorps, Silver laced Wyandottes, and Rhode island reds currently (not including my new babies, I'm saving them for a separate post)


My horses Left- Dubba (5years old). Right- Cally (16 years old)

Cally is the only mare out of the 4 horses on the property, she was my 4-h horse when I was younger and now my sister uses her for 4-H and WASET. I hope to breed her in the next year or two before she officially retires to be my trail buddy again.
Dubba is my current riding project and I am gearing him up for the local open shows next year, he's the official fence tester and general trouble maker of the farm, he's also a huge cuddle bug which might explain the reason he gets away with so much.



This is Hemi (5 years old)
Hemi is a retired racehorse that my sister got for her 16th birthday, he is her project horse and will eventually take over Cally's job of her 4-H and WASET partner. Until then he's putting on weight and being lightly trained. He also is a snuggler and prefers to rest his head on your chest.



Blue (32 years old)
Blue doesn't really have a person here at the farm. My parents took him in because he had been abandoned by his former owners and was on his way to the auction house, where he probably would of ended up in the kill pen- bound for the slaughter house. He's a spunky old guy that still trail rides soundly. He's usually the one giving pony rides around here and my cousins little boy loves him to pieces.


This is Layla (1.5 years old) our  Shiloh shepherd/Malamute/Wolf mix. We got her a few days after moving into the little house, so shes still a puppy. She plays tag with Dubba in the horse field and gives him kisses on the nose. She also protects our chickens and herds them if they get out of their pen. Shes the most gentle dog I have ever known.


Juno is the newest addition to the house, she's just 6 months old, she is a pug mix, and the biggest mamma's girl you'll ever meet. I call her my little pigette, because she eats everything, I mean it, I haven't found anything she wont eat - this girl loves her vegetables.




This is Abby (1 year old) she's tiny, feisty, and a big cuddler. She just started going outside during the day and is an excellent mouser, she puts our barn cats to shame with her skills.


Elly (14 years old)
This is my boyfriend, Mr. Beam's cat. She is either whining or sleeping. She's a house cat unless outside to bask in the sun or on top of my car. If Mr. Beam is home, she is right next to him.





There are other cats and dogs on the farm, belonging to my parents and brother.


 Dexter, a 3 year old mini Aussie belongs to my brothers. He's a shy little guy that loves to be scratched once he warms up to you, unless you have a hat on, then your evil and he wont trust you until the hat disappears.


Chewy, a 9 year old Pug/Chihuahua mix is my mothers. He's the sweetest one of the bunch and often guest threaten to smuggle him with them when they leave.


They also have 5 cats; Romeo (orange), Licorice (black), Bagheera (black), Toby (gery tabby), and Tinkerbell (blue eyed seal point). The last 3 being outdoor only cats. They are pretty elusive when a camera is out so I don't have any picture of them, but I'm sure I get some in the future.

Other than the egg laying chickens, our animals are companions. In the next year I plan on expanding our animals and raising our own meat on the farm, starting with chicken and ducks, and moving onto pigs in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment